Ridiculous Data

More Power to your Coffee!

The Otaku killer case: everything you need to know

Tsumoto Miyazaki began a sequence of crimes in the late summer of 1988 that would make him one of the most notorious criminals in contemporary Japanese history.

Miyazaki was an anime and manga fanatic who committed such horrific crimes that he practically single-handedly established the otaku stereotype. The Rat Killer, the Little Girl Killer, and, most infamously, the Otaku Killer have all been given to him.

The case of Tsumoto Miyazaki is pretty grotesque and explicit, so this is a warning before you read ahead.

His childhood

In the late summer of 1988, Tsumoto Miyazaki began a series of crimes that would make him one of the most notorious criminals in modern Japanese history.

Miyazaki was an anime and manga fanatic who committed so many heinous acts that he almost invented the otaku stereotype on his own. He’s been dubbed the Rat Killer, the Little Girl Killer, and, most infamously, the Otaku Killer.

He was born with a disease that fused his hand joints and wrists together, which had a significant impact on his school performance, but he nevertheless passed with flying colors. Some speculate that he was born with a deformity as a result of his father’s incestuous relationship with his older sister.

His grades began to deteriorate, and he was unable to gain admission to his preferred university.

Later, he enrolled in a junior college and began shooting crotch pictures of all the tennis players on the court. He became infatuated with pornographic periodicals and developed a variety of obsessions as a result. He eventually began to seek out child pornography.

His grandfather was the one person in his family who exhibited the most interest in his life. Because his family was usually too busy working, he and Simoto got close. However, in 1988, Miyazaki’s grandfather passed away, further depressing him.

Some say this may have been the tipping point for him to go ahead with such crimes.

Masami Yoshizawa, Erica Namba, and Ayoko No Moto, his victims, were all between the ages of four and seven.

Victim 1

On August 22, 1988, one day after his own birthday, he had his first victim. In a dark and twisted way, his birthday present to himself was the life of a four-year-old girl named Marikono, who was playing at a friend’s house.

He had taken her to his car and driven her under a bridge, where they talked for about half an hour before killing her. After having sexual relations with the corpse, Miyazaki abandoned the body in the hills near his home and allowed it to decay for a while. He merely came back to take her limbs and store them as souvenirs in his house.

He had his first victim on August 22, 1988, one day after his own birthday. His birthday present to himself was the life of a four-year-old girl named Marikono, who was playing at a friend’s house in a dark and twisted way.

He had taken her to his car and drove her under a bridge, where they had a half-hour conversation before killing her. Miyazaki abandoned the corpse in the hills near his home after having sexual intercourse with it and allowed it to decompose for a while. He only returned to collect her limbs and keep them as keepsakes at his home.

“I don’t know who exactly sent this, but I do know for a fact that it’s the person who took my daughter. How could a human being do this to another Human being?”

Mari’s mother

“When we looked at the bones, we couldn’t find her hands and legs, without her hands and legs, she can’t even walk in heaven. If possible, id like to return her hands and feet back to her, so she may walk and eat in heaven”

Mari’s father

After the airing of this footage, Miyazaki then wrote a long letter to the newspaper under his alias name Yugo Imada, here are some parts from the letter.

“The person who sent that box full of bones to Marikono’s house was indeed me, everything about this Mari-chan case was orchestrated by me. There is a reason I am writing this letter to expose the truth to you. Firstly, the bones inside the box and without a doubt Mari’s bones, I drowned her in a nearby river. The other day I saw on TV that based on the false information given by the police, Mari chan’s mother stated that she still has hope, and when I saw that I felt a sense of urgency to clean this matter up myself. At this rate, they will truly for all eternity never know Mari’s whereabouts. And thus, I am writing this confession letter today. Those bones are truly Mari’s. Thank you so much for having a funeral. Thanks to you, my kin, all of them are finally able to go to the “grave” I will have to ask God for a battle. I will have to hit God with the hard task to not get me captured for 15 years and grant my wish to meet children who want to meet me, that is the only way for humans to fight God”

This letter was his method of expressing his desire to continue taunting the parents without remorse for another 15 years.

During his trial, however, Miyazaki denied ever creating the identity Yugo Imada and stated that he would never do so. Yugo had first come to his attention on the news, he claimed.

Victim 2

On October 3rd, 1988, a second murder occurred. Masami was a seven-year-old boy whom Miyazaki had seen walking along the street. She accepted his offer of a ride. Miyazaki then drove her to the same location as Mari, killed her, and seized her clothes before fleeing.

“I am very vengeful and if the law allowed me I would hurt him, I wish I could hurt him so that he would feel at least a little of what Masami felt”

victims father

Victim 3

Erica Nama, then four years old, was returning from a friend’s house on December 12th, 1988, when Miyazaki forced her into the automobile. He then went to a parking spot and ordered her to strip down to her underwear so he could photograph her. With her hands and feet tied behind her back, he murdered her. He hid the body in his trunk, covered with a bedsheet, and left it to decay in the woods near the parking lot.

Her body was found three days later. On December 20th, Miyazaki sent a postcard to the family, it read:

“Erica. Cough. Cold. Throat. Rest”

Victim 4

On June 6th, 1989, Miyazaki observed five-year-old Ayoko playing alone in a park near a tennis court and approached her, telling her to shoot photos with him.

He urged her to get in the car and sit in the back seat after several shots were taken.

After around five minutes, Miyazaki began strangling her. He brought her body home and began filming himself having sexual relations with her body for two days before she began to decompose.

Miyazaki would write a lot of letters and postcards to the victims’ families, confessing what he had done and explaining the details of how he had killed them.

On July 23, 1989, Miyazaki observed two sisters in the park and was able to persuade the younger one to accompany him, while the elder sister stayed behind and hurried to inform her father of what had occurred.

Miyazaki had driven into the woods not far from the park, where he had already stripped the girl naked and begun photographing her when her father arrived in time to attack Miyazaki.

While Miyazaki ran away, he was able to rescue his daughter, leaving his parked car behind. The father quickly phoned the cops, who assisted in setting up the arrest scene.

Miyazaki eventually returned to pick up his car, when he was apprehended by the cops.

They went back to his house where they found over

There were also images and footage of what he did to the females among the 5,000 movies of anime and slasher films. When the proof was discovered, Miyazaki seemed unconcerned, even stating that he “truly enjoys horror pictures.” He was imprisoned, and his face was shortly broadcast on television. They dug around in his house and discovered the skull of one of his victims, as well as the furnace he used to burn the body parts.

The Trial

His misdeeds had enraged the nation, and the media had fanned the flames. His fascination with anime earned him the moniker “Otaku Murderer,” and he became known as the “Otaku Murderer” throughout Japan.

The family name had been soiled by this case, and his father was so embarrassed that he refused to pay for the counsel.

His statements jumped across truths, lies, and superstitions during the trial. During one of his investigations, he blamed the atrocities on something or someone he dubbed the “Rat Man,” who he claimed was his alter ego and had pushed him to kill.

He was interviewed by three psychiatrists during his trial.

 The first one said that was completely normal and was aware of his actions.

The second said that he had schizophrenia before his murders but was sane enough to know good from the bad.

The third one said that he had multiple personality disorders, including the alias name he had used to write the letters to the families. According to the reports he had a total of four personalities all of which lacked determining good vs bad which resulted in him – not being fully sane.

After all the investigations and the three psychiatrists, the court was unconvinced of his mental disorders and was immediately put on death row and died on June 17th, 2008.

One thought on “The Otaku killer case: everything you need to know

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *